Book Review: Bad Mother

Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace by Ayelet Waldman


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Bad Mother was the wild ride that I anticipated from the reviews I read ahead of time. Reading Ayelet Waldman's writing is a bit like dragging your finger across the blade of the knife to see how sharp it is. Her insight is dead on and I loved that the fact that she lives an authentic life. She makes no apologies for her thoughts or actions. Well, that isn't totally true. Sometimes she apologizes but she rarely seems to filter her thoughts. I have a lot of respect for that ability. That insight into her psyche makes her incredibly easy to relate with. I find it appealing to read writings spoken from so deep in the heart without the sugar coating or concern about how society will react to soften it down.


Waldman writes about her attempts to be a 'good mother' and how we beat ourselves up (or let other women beat us up) for the decisions that we make. To work or stay home? Jam pack your child's schedule with enrichment activities or allow a more free form, less committed childhood? All very interesting questions that most mothers grapple with when they have young children.


I would encourage you to get your hands on a copy and open your mind while reading her book. You may occasionally cringe at what she has to say but you'll be rewarded with some terrific writing.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: