Don't Freak Out, I'm OK But...


A 7:00am phone call is never a good way to start the day. Hardly anything good ever comes from one.

Lauren: "Hi Mom, don't freak, I'm okay but..."
Me: "but what?"
Lauren: "I got hit by a cab last night."
Me: "Oh my God, are you okay, did you get hurt, holy crap" (my voice is rising and respiration increasing by the nanosecond)
Lauren: "Mom! Mom! Mom! I told you not to freak out. I'm okay. I just needed a few stitches on my face."

Seriously, parenthood is not for the faint of heart. Sounds like she'll now have a scar near her eyebrow just like I do. She's got some road rash on her leg and is bit sore from hitting the ground and tired from being in the ER half the night. I know it could have been much worse.

The ironic part is that Lauren has a seriously bad reputation for jay-walking (I do too so I can't say anything). In fact, her old boyfriend used to call her Tenacious J! But last night she was in a crosswalk crossing with the light. She didn't even see it coming.

I guess the upside of being hit by a cab is a free ride to and from the hospital. I'm thinking she should get free cab rides for life! With that rite of passage behind her I think she can officially call herself a New Yorker now.

6 comments:

Jess said...

Oh my hell! I love her blog too. I want her job...

Manna said...

YIPE Yipe yipe! I'm so glad she's ok!

Erin said...

A "seriously bad reputation for jaywalking."

That's not funny, I know. But I can only imagining her with a big red "J" sewn to her chest.

minor catastrophes said...

Ugh. I'm going through my own version of watching my kids deal with injuries at my house, so I feel your pain. So glad she's okay...Hard to be so far away, no?

The Neo-Traditionalist said...

Oh my goodness, I'm glad she's okay! I used to live in Manhattan and have a bad tendency to not look both ways...I think I was just lucky. I hope she's on the mend! xo katie

Ann R. said...

So scary! So glad she is ok! Those are the worst kind of phone calls a parent can receive and so hard when she is so far away.