Movie: Coco Before Chanel


Last night I watched the French film 'Coco Before Chanel'. I've been enchanted with Audrey Tautou, who plays Coco, since first seeing her in 'Amelie' (if you haven't seen that film, stop on your way home and pick it up). 'Coco Before Chanel' chronicles her early years and the struggles that she and her sister faced after their mother died and their father left them in the care of a Catholic orphanage. I enjoyed the film and was curious to know more about Coco Chanel and her rise to prominence as fashion designer.

A quick review of the Wikipedia page about Coco reveals some details of her life such as an affair with a Nazi spy and being charged as a collaborator to a British spy. The British royal family intervened and the charges were dropped. Coco Chanel not only influenced the way women of her time viewed fashion but also women's role in society. She never married and successfully launched the fashion empire that still bears her name.

5 comments:

Misty Fowler said...

I adored that movie almost as much as I adore Audrey Tautou! I need to buy it on DVD now to rewatch. I think Amelie is still my favorite of hers, though.

Erin said...

I totally want to see that movie. I didn't even hear about it until I saw the preview on another movie about two weeks ago.

Philip said...

I just put this on hold at the library...don't worry # 71 in queue...I'll get it in like 5 months :-) I'm a library junkie like you and every time I put my card number in online to reserve something I think, Damn Hartford has her number memorized!

jess said...

What I don't know why the comment showed up under Phil. It's me Jess Moehle. Internet....not my strongest skill

dbh said...

Misty- I remember when you ladies when to see it in the theater. I wanted to go then but couldn't make at that time.

Erin- I think you would like Coco. Have you seen Amelie?

Jess- Ha! I was really confused for a second while reading 'Phil's' comment. I couldn't figure out who the heck it was.